Friday, March 4, 2022

Drive My Car


DRIVE MY CAR


After his wifes unexpected death, Yusuke Kafuku (Hidetoshi Nishijima), a renowned stage actor and director, He gets offered an opportunity to direct a play he once starred in, in Hiroshima. While there he discovers more about himself and his wife while being drove around by hired driver Misaki.

This film reminds me a lot of another acclaimed foreign film I saw this year The Worst Person In The World.
When I watched both of these films I thought AAAAHHHHH Its Ok. However the next day it sticks with you. However Drive My Car Is not as good as The Person. 

Negatives:
-3 hours long. Director Ryusuke Hamaguchi seems unfocused here. There is a storyline about a violent actor-ex-friend or lover of Yusuke's wife. I understand the point but it could have been left on the cutting room floor. There are many moments that were not necessary to the story line.
-Boring. I wanted more of a relationship between Yusuke and Kafuku. There was the heart of the story. 

Positives:
-I love love love the relationship between Yusuke and Misaki. I find her very interesting and just wonderful in this part....and together they both are living with guilt and loss. Everytime the camera left them..the film sunk. Still what they go through together really sticks with you.
-There is an interesting relationship between producer and one of the actors...No Spoilers.

I would give this Oscar Nominated film 3 out of 5 stars for Drive My Car. If you are going to rent it or watch on HBO Max I would watch in 1 hour segments. It is just a long 3 hour watch in one sitting.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...