Wednesday, December 16, 2020

New Film Review: The Last Vermeer

 









THE LAST VERMEER


An Artist, Han Van Meegeren, Is suspected of selling a valuable painting to the Nazis,but there is more to this story that meets the eye.

Right away I want to tell you this, I really had no idea what I was walking into. I was just thrilled to be sitting in a theater and supporting theaters and the workers within. As I watched this film I realized I am glad I knew nothing about Meegeren. Not knowing made this film better with a surprise twist in the middle. So if you plan on streaming this film do not do any research..go in blind. It is fun.

The highlight of the film is Guy Pearce as Meegeren. Meegeren is a drinking, flamboyant, womanizer and Pearce gives a fantastic performance. Strange as it is I would not say he was the lead, he was the focus but I would say Claes Bang as Captain Joseph Piller is the lead. He is in almost every shot. Bang plays off Pearce real well. He is the straight man to Pearce's flamboyant behavior. Piller's job is to investigate if Meegeren profited from the Nazi's, aka Hitler, during the war. He stoic, often too stoic which bleeds into his cold marriage.
There is another really good performance by Minna Holmberg as Vicky Krieps, Meegeren's assistant and slowly became Piller's assistant.

If there is a negative to this story It would be Dan Friedkin the Director, and possibly the screenwriter Jonathan Lopez. The film at 2hrs has a slooooow pace. Friedkin and Lopez, had many small parts added in that could have been left out , which would have given us more Guy Pearce, I mean when he is on the screen the film is very interesting. Then that would have put us at the trial quicker. Plus they could have added more of the back end of Meegeren's life. 

Well do not let that sway you away from this very odd based on real events film. 4 out of 5 stars for The Last Vermeer, this well acted, interesting film. NO SPOILERS HERE...AS ALWAYS.

From the shadows thanks for your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...