Thursday, July 4, 2019

New Film Review: Late Night

Image result for late night movie


LATE NIGHT


Boy.......................I wanted to laugh at this movie more.
These are the type of films that sadly do not make it to the theaters anymore. They go right to Amazon or Netflix. There is no space or no superhero attached to it. So I always wish for a film like this to knock my socks off. Sadly this did not.
What I took away from this film:
-Writer Mindy Kaling does a good job of going inside the late night wars and showing the pressure of trying to stay in the game. Sadly the humor is only in the trailer.
-A fantastic performance by Emma Thompson as late night host Katherine Newbury. She shows here at a time where the ME TOO movement is in the headlines....Whether you are a man or woman...you can still be an absolute asshole to others at work. It is not just a man who can be an asshole. Men do not have a Monopoly on it. She is very good. The fear of her comes off the screen. However the things she does I think is suppose to be funny, sadly it is not, It is just scary sad.
-Director Nish Ginatra, took an interesting premise and made it very choppy with no rhythm. It seemed to bounce around everywhere,. I think the editing decisions were a bit rough.
-I said before in other reviews Mindy Kaling cannot act, she is better in a costarring role. After this film....I stand by it...she cannot act. She is 100 times a better writer than an actress. She is stiff as a board here and seems to be reading her lines with no emotion.
-The worst thing I took from this film...........is..........it is forgettable. I just saw another film Booksmart directed by Olivia Wilde. With two female leads. It took chances and made me laugh, you cannot forget it because it was different. I just saw some teenagers redoing the beginning scene with the odd dance outside the car. It is memorable. Late night....sadly is not.


2 stars out of 5 for Late Night
From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...