Tuesday, September 26, 2017

New Release For Home Viewing

Image result for 47 meters down


Not a strong week for films this week. Just one to mention and...maybe not worth a look.


47 Meters Down
Directed by Johannes Roberts
Screenplay by Johannes Roberts and Ernest Riera
Starring Mandy Moore and Claire Holt



Two sisters Lisa (Moore) and Kate (Holt) get trapped......... well 47 meters down.....in a cage.

Oh boy. I was hoping for so much. I was hoping for another The Shallows, which was one of my biggest surprises last year and I really loved The Shallows. Sadly what 47 Meters Down did was show me that I was right....Blake Lively put on a wonderful one woman show in The Shallows and made that film work.

As for 47 Meters Down:

PROBLEMS:
-DUMB...Stupid decisions...The one thing The Shallows did right...she did not make stupid moves. Here two women go on a boat with two men they just met. Then let themselves be put in a cage!!!! Really???!! And it is all downhill from there.

-The script. It is just bad. At one point we have a good 15 minutes of tension that never happens. Which makes me think the studio knew they had garbage here and did a lot of re-shoots and re-writes. To a point where I think that is why the ending is soooo flat....They did not have an ending!!! Then you have dialog that went with a lot of...AAAAH OOOOH OH NO!!! Over and over. You cheer for the shark (just kidding).

-The acting. The biggest shocker here is how bad Mandy Moore is in this film. The same person who is wonderful in TV's This Is Us, is awful here. Could be the worst performance of the year so far.

Any Positives?

-I did jump often when the sharks attacked the cage...so that is something.

1 1/2 stars out of 5 for the disappointing 47 Meters Down (for the shark and Matthew Modine who was lucky, he was in the film for only 10 minutes). Just watch The Shallows. Yes the ending of The Shallows is a bit of a let down but still....Lively makes it work.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...