Thursday, September 28, 2017

New Film Review: The Glass Castle

Image result for glass castle


THE GLASS CASTLE
Directed by Destin Daniel Cretton
Screenplay by Destin Daniel Cretton and Andrew Lanham
Based on the book by Jeannette Walls
Starring Brie Larson; Woody Harrelson; Naomi Watts; and Ella Anderson




The Glass Castle follows The Walls family...mainly the children growing up in with eccentric parents Rex (Harrelson) and Rose Mary (Watts).
We see the film through the eyes of Jeanette (Larson), as she looks back at her strange childhood.
Now, I know a lot of people who read the Walls book were upset because this film took some heart of the story. I did not read the book so luckily I have no basis ...soooo.... I really liked this film.


Positives:
-The screenplay is really good. The film runs over two hours and it flies by. There are so many dynamics to this family, it is a train wreck you cannot stop watching. There is some joy, but it has an umbrella of sadness. There is clearly mental illness here and alcohol disease at play. Also mental abuse and physical. It sounds like it would be hard to watch and sometimes it is....but what make it work is....
-The Acting!! Larson with another fine performance. You see her acting often without talking. She is carrying years of hurt and embarrassment with her into her adult life.
Harrelson as Rex is relentless. I can't tell if he is good acting or good casting. Come to think about it with Woody, it may be the same thought for all his parts lol!!!!!!!
Lets not forget Ella Anderson and Chandler Head as the young Jeanette at different ages. These young girls are playing roles that are really mature roles. They pull it off (note they were both in the film The Boss)!!
Are there any negatives?
Yes.
-As noted before, this is a difficult watch. Rex is abusive!! Then things get wrapped up in a nice neat ball of string; I heard in the book...maybe not so much. It did seem a little odd. It is nice at the end to see the family smile..if that is something.


Well...a true story...about  a family with secrets, and the weight of your past that you carry with you. 4 out of 5 stars. This shocked me. I got a pass and thought...well I will go watch I have nothing better to do...and I really liked it. An interesting story and well acted.


From the shadows as always thanks for your time.







No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...