Tuesday, August 30, 2016

New Releases For Home Viewing This Week: Two really Good Films

Image result for me before you

ME BEFORE YOU

Directed by Thea Sharrock
Screenplay and Novel by Jo Jo Moyes
Starring Emilia Clarke and Sam Clafin



Lou Clarke (Emilia Clarke) takes a job as the caregiver for Will Traynor (Sam Claflin) who is Paralyzed.

I read the book. I had to get that out of the way. I always prefer to see a film before reading the book. I think if you watch the film then read the book, you let the book expand on the film. However, like noted, I read the wonderful book. Which makes it difficult to review this film without thinking what they left out. I will be honest without giving out spoilers with a review that will mention the book when need be.
Right away I will tell you I liked the film, I loved the book. I like the premise of the film and the thought process of the book being............. attack life.
Where did the movie miss the mark making it just likable?
Lou Clark. In the book she is struggling with life outside of her job/relationship with Will Traynor.
The relationship with her sister was written out. The deeper struggle with her boyfriend. The struggle with not having a place in her own home. All written out. The maze scene was a real deep situation in the book also written out, and that told us where Clark is coming from. I feel it is important that the struggles are shown and it was a bad decision. Why? It adds to the ending. The meaning of where she is at the end (no spoilers). Where she is, compared to where she came from, not financially, but it is part of her growth. Big mistake. What we get is Clarke playing Lou as an odd happy go lucky person which comes across in the beginning as annoying and her eyebrows almost become a character in the film.
So now I compared the film to the book, How was this film standing all by itself?

If I was in charge of the movie world (I hope you vote for me) I would make sure that Thea Sharrock will never direct another film. How can she take this really good story and make a shockingly bad decision to add a soundtrack to this film????!!!! At some point she thought....I do not think this film brings enough emotion....lets add some sad/or happy songs!! UGH!!! It was eye rolling because the music was not needed. Maybe just trust the words and add a score!!! Again UGH!! There is a reason why the book was popular. The page!! The feelings coming off the page. Trust!!

Yes I know most of this review has been negative. You need to know there is a lot to like. In fact there is a lot to like.
The heart of the story is still there.
The acting in this film is wonderful. The chemistry between Clarke and Claflin is spot on.
Claflin has a difficult role of acting without moving which makes it a struggle for him to project emotion. He is very good.
As for Clarke. With a film covering tough subjects she does do a very good job at adding levity and humor to this movie. It is funny, that in the beginning, I thought....this is not the Clark from the book, however as the story went on she grew on me. Not as the Clark from the book but as a different Clark, the character in this movie. Which is okay, she became her own Clark.

One last note: So I am watching this film and thinking, that gentleman playing Patrick, Clark's boyfriend, I have seen him somewhere before. Where? I know I have seen him before. Where? Where? So I stay for the credits and ...WOW! Patrick was played by Matthew Lewis!! Yes Neville Longbottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He looks so.................UN-NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM!!! It shocked me lol!!

Well 4 out of 5 stars for Me Before You. You have to try, I know it is hard, to approach without the book in your head. Clarke and Clafin are wonderful together. It does deliver the emotion and laughs that you come for. I hope this film did well enough so they can also do Me After You.

JUNGLE BOOK

Directed by John Favreau
Screenplay by Justin Marks
Based on the book by Rudyard Kipling
Starring Neil Sethi




Jungle Book You know the story.

This film is gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful!!
The film does not veer to much from the cartoon we all know and love. In fact it is the same plot minus the same ending. It even has Bare Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You (it does not have the March Of The Elephants).
So you know the plot.
Amazingly there is only one actor and that is Seth as Mowgli. He performs wonderfully against nothing if you think about it. He is by himself against a green screen I am sure. I hear they put him with Bill Murray a couple times but he is not a bear!! The kid is real good and I hope they remember him at Oscar time.
Have to say great voice work by Bill Murray (Baloo); Ben Kingsley (Bagheera); Idris Elba (Shere Kahn); Christopher Walken (King Louie/with a little tip of the cap to the cowbell by the way); Lupita Nyong'O  (Raksha). They do a great job at voicing emotions. With help from wonderful CGI work.
And finally the score by John Debney is fantastic, it sets the tone nonstop through out the film

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!
This film is violent. Death and killing. Scary jungle scenes. I would say 8 and over. If your kids get frightened still by the flying monkeys in The Wizard Of Oz, they will be scared here.

4 out of 5 stars for this Beautiful Jungle Book. I just wished they would have done something different in this remake. Still see it, yes you know the story but this is gorgeous looking.

From the shadows as usual thanks for your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...