Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Shadows Top Ten Films Of 2015....Number 1

Image result for the martian

Well before I get to number 1, for newbies to the blog here are my top ten from 2014:
10-The Grand Budapest Hotel
9-The Immigrant
8-Maleficent
7-Whiplash
6-Trip To Italy
5-Belle
4-The Fault In Our Stars
3-American Sniper
2-Top Five
1-Wild

Now for my number 1 film of 2015:

.THE MARTIAN
Directed by Ridley Scott
Screenplay by Drew Goddard
Based on the book by Andy Weir
Starring: Matt Damon and Mars



During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney (Damon) is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to survive and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive.

Damon and Scott!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ridley Scott goes away for awhile then pops up and does this!!! Like wow!! It looks incredible!!
How did he not get an Oscar Nomination.

What is crazy here is, most of the time I have no idea what NASA and Damon are talking about or planning or doing, but somehow they have me on the edge of my seat.
Casting!! So many good performances, I am not going to even bother to name all of them. However I will highlight a couple unknowns or less famous performers:
Donald Glover, as Rich Purnell is brilliant and funny at the same time. And important.
Mackenzie Davis as Mindy Park also gives many scene stealing scenes.
The look of this film is phenomenal. The special effects cannot be matched. From Mars to the ships you really feel like you are right there.
Faults? 
People in the street scenes, that was going over the top. Maybe the only bad decision Scott made. I really do not see people in the street acting like this. I would imagine people at home glued to the TV or at local pubs, not in the streets (Those scenes stopped it from being a perfect 5 of 5 movie for me). Thankfully Ridley Scott took the film past those scenes and gave us more of a decisive solid ending (No Spoilers).
My last note.... I think this film is so important to show to your children. It should be almost mandatory in Middle Schools. Why? Science and math!!! It shows students where the science and math that they are being taught in the schools can be used out in the real world, be it Mars or this planet. Or maybe it will at least get them to pick up Weirs' book.
4 1/2 stars out of 5 for The Martian best film of the year. For the love of science and math and film!

My 2015 Top Ten Films:
1 The Martian
2 Inside Out
3 Brooklyn
4 Starwars The Force Awakens
5 Ex Machina
6 Spotlight
7 Trainwreck
8 Room
9 Creed
10 The End Of The Tour



From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...