Thursday, January 14, 2016

From The Shadows...Oscar Thoughts With Snubs

Image result for oscar

What a hard morning. You are interested in Noms and you hope that certain films you like get some love. Then you hear the news this morning about Alan Rickman passing. It is so sad. I will just say there is not a Die Hard without Rickman. You cannot see anyone else play the part of Professor Snape. He just owned his characters. He was one of the best and not showy or egotistical. It is a great loss.

Now to the Oscars.
I will run down the biggest categories and give my thoughts.

DIRECTING
  • Adam McKay - The Big Short
  • George Miller - Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Alejandro G. Iñárritu - The Revenant
  • Lenny Abrahamson - Room
  • Tom McCarthy - Spotlight

Okay this was one of the biggest snubs of the morning. No Ridley Scott for The Martian???!!!
I would have easily replaced him with Adam Mckay for The Big Short. Or Lenny Abrahamson for Room, I mean I love the movie but it did not come across as a directorial challenge. How about J.J. Abrams for Star Wars The Force Awakens?????!!!!!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
  • Jennifer Jason Leigh,, The Hateful Eight
  • Rooney Mara, Carol
  • Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
  • Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
  • Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs
I love Rachel McAdams. She is one of my favorite actresses. In Spotlight I think she was good. nNthing over the top great. I would have replaced her with Kristen Stewart for Clouds Of Sils Maria. Or Julie Waters in Brooklyn.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
  • Christian Bale, The Big Short
  • Tom Hardy, The Revenant
  • Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
  • Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
  • Sylvester Stallone, Creed

I would have loved to have seen Jacob Tremblay in here for Room or Steve Carell for The Big Short but in all honesty I do not know who you would take off the list. I looooved that Tom Hardy got some Oscar love in a very difficult part.

BEST ACTOR
  • Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
  • Matt Damon, The Martian
  • Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
  • Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
  • Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
I would have replaced Cranston with Will Smith in Concussion. I would have replaced him with Jason Segel  and The End Of The Tour. I am not getting the love for Cranston in Trumbo.


BEST ACTRESS

  • Cate Blanchett, Carol
  • Brie Larson, Room
  • Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
  • Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
  • Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Well....okay.

BEST PICTURE

  • The Big Short
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Brooklyn
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • The Martian
  • The Revenant
  • Room
  • Spotlight
Okay. I have no problems with any of the films. I think The Big Short is okay. I am glad that Brooklyn still gets love. It is a very good simple film with no big overriding message which the Academy sure loves. I would have thought of Ex Machina!!!! Or Star Wars The Force Awakens.
A lot of people are upset about Compton not getting a nom. I think it was just good. It really was not focused and needed editing bad. I would also think that maybe Inside Out should be nominated.
 
Outside the lineup above a big snub I think was Costume Design for Brooklyn. Best Score for Irrational Man, it was a very cool jazzy score.
 
Well there are my Oscar thoughts. Look for my top ten films of the year starting this weekend.
From the shadows as always thanks for your time

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...