Thursday, February 27, 2020

New Film Review: Call Of The Wild

Image result for call of the wild

CALL OF THE WILD

Based on the Jack London book, and based on the movie and another movie.
Call Of The Wild follows a dog and his adventure into the Artic.

This film is being criticized for using a CGI dog. I had no problem with that going in if the CGI was legit. I have to say it was legit. Plus, I can see why they used CGI dogs, a real dog would not be able to go thru what this CGI dog did: Freezing cold water; buried over and over in snow; and beatings. Animal rights groups would not be be to pleased if a real dog was used.

This film was a pleasant surprise, it just did a lot right. Yes the bases of the classic film was already there , however as we have seen with movies, classics can even be messed up. However  director Chris Sanders stayed on point:

-His CGI really worked

-Casting for all was spot on. Harrison Ford was advertised in the trailer and literature for the film, but to be hones he is only in half the film. The real star is, and a wonderful performance by Omar Sy as Perrault. He is just great.
-Voice over work by Harrison Ford is perfect. That harsh coarse voice is just perfect for the rugged adventure in the film.

Well there is a lot to like in this film. I think it was well done. If there was a negative, I think it was a generic, light weight version of the book, that was probably cut for time or  to make it more of a family film. I get it.

I just think it was a fun well done film. It is not great, but it is fun and harmless.
3 1/2 stars for Call Of The Wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...