Tuesday, June 14, 2016

New Releases This Week For Home Viewing...Four Films!!!

Image result for 10 cloverfield lane

Four releases this week to note for home viewing!!!

10 CLOVERFIELD LANE
Directed by Dan Trachenberg
Screenplay by Josh Campbell; Matthew Stuecken; and Damien Chazelle
Starring: John Goodman; Mary Elizabeth Winstead; and John Gallagher jr



During the preview that I was able to see I was asked to not give up to many plot points and or spoilers. Me? I do not do spoilers so no problem.
The funny thing about this film is JJ Abrams did not write it or direct it. However he produced this film and you can kind of see his hands all over it.
What you have here are three people in a bunker. It is intense. It touches a little bit on other films like ExMachina or maybe Room. You have read about people who prepare for the end of society by building bunkers, however it asks the question: Staying under ground, possibly with someone you do not trust or drives you crazy...is that the better option?
This film is intense, filled with twists and turns, and surprisingly a good amount of humor.
Three fantastic performances:
John Goodman....I mean has John Goodman ever been in a film that sucked? Here he is fantastic.
Mary Elizabeth Winstead...I have only seen her once in The Spectacular Now and that was a small part. Here, as Michelle, she is in every scene and is wonderful doing a lot of this performance by emitting emotion with a look from a distance. This is a breakout performance.
John Gallagher Jr..he gives the film some dry humor as Emmett. He reminded me a lot Jason Sudeikis, but he is a much better actor than Jason Sudeikis.
Is this a follow up to Cloverfield? Is it an end of the world scenario or a crazy kidnapper story?
You are not getting that answer here!!!
4 1/2 out of 5 stars for 10 Cloverfield Lane. Wow!!!!! Close to a perfect film. Note: A perfect film to me has to be a film you want to see over and over and over again. After I watch this once, I am not sure after seeing the twist and turns and mysteries being revealed, I would want to see it over and over again.  Yes and that is the only reason it did not get a 5 out of 5. Hey!! It is my blog....my rules. Still...see it....have fun...enjoy!!


LONDON HAS FALLEN
Directed by Babak Najafi
Screenplay by four writers
Starring Gerard Butler; Morgan Freeman; and Aaron Eckhart



In London for the Prime Ministers funeral, Mike Banning has to save the president again from terrorist.

Okay!!! You buy a ticket for this film because you want to see an action film. In that realm, this film is a success. In fact at the end of my screening the crowd in the theater clapped. So they got what they paid for.

You have to ignore a lot. Missing police officers. Odd decisions like, right away trying to walk in an open street to get to the embassy..JUST KNOCK ON A DOOR AND TELL THE PEOPLE INSIDE YOU WANT TO KEEP THE PRESIDENT HERE FOR 24 HOURS UNTIL THINGS COOL DOWN AND THERE IS DAYLIGHT!! Yes I know if they did that there would be no movie.
Four Writers? They have Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo and they are barely used. In fact Melissa Leo I think only has maybe 3 lines really? Four writers? Respect the Oscar winner!!

Okay positives:
The action and special effects work well.
Gerard Butler's Mike Banning is a fun character to watch, he is like a modern day John McClane.
There is a really good small performance by Charlotte Riley as an MI6 Agent. I think if they do another one she should be in it. She is an interesting character.

Leave your mind outside, you want to see an action you get it. 3 stars out of 5 for London Has Fallen. It is exciting in many parts.


EDDIE THE EAGLE

Directed by Dexter Fletcher
Screenplay by Sean Macaulay and Simon Kelton
Based on the book by Simon Kelton
Starring Taron Egerton; Hugh jackman; and Jo Hartley




Eddie The Eagle follows Eddie Edwards in his quest to make the Calgary Olympics.

I will start with the negatives. Loosly based is really loosly based. He was not shunned by fellow teammates. He had to work to get equipment. Things like that are stretched.. Also, you can tell that the story line for Eddie's trainer Bronson Peary played by Hugh Jackman was bumped up because , well, they had Hugh Freaking Jackman.
Then watching this I thought yes, it  goes to extremes to show Eddie as a socially awkward individual, However I needed to chill and take my so called "Critic" mind out of it, because it still is a nice story. It is an exciting story. It is an uplifting story. It is a crazy story as we watch how brave he is. It has many funny parts to laugh at. It is a story that the whole family can watch. It has a very good performance by Egerton who is in almost every scene. It is just fun, Why not watch???!!! It is uplifting...4 out of 5 for Eddie The Eagle. Just do not over think it and enjoy it.


HELLO MY NAME IS DORIS

Directed by:Michael Showalter
Screenplay by Laura Terruso and Michael Showalter
Starring: Sally Field: Tyne Daly; and Max Greenfield



After her mother passes away, Doris (Sally Field) slowly makes some changes in her life including developing a crush on John (Max Greenfield) at work.

Sally Field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will Oscar voters remember this!!!
I am telling you right now...shame on the voters if they do forget. What a performance. A little humor and filled with sadness and a little hope.

Then they throw in a lot of nice smaller performances with Max Greenfield as John; Tyne Daly as Doris's best friend Roz (a wonderful touching scene at the end); Elizabeth Reaser as Doris's therapist (I have yet to see her give a bad performance); and a little fantastic part by Beth Behrs (2 Broke Girls).

So with all those fantastic performances, does the script hold up?
It depends on how you approach  it. This movie is not a comedy. It sure looks like it from the trailer.
This film is close to heartbreaking. There is nothing funny about what Doris is doing and clearly there are issues there. No spoilers here, but there are two scenes at the end that just are soooo well acted and at the same time I had to cover my eyes it was so hard to watch. Heartbreaking.

It is not an enjoyable film. There is almost a sad desperation you are watching on the screen.
So it is a good film, however not enjoyable to watch. I know!!!! All depends how you approach it.
3 1/2 stars out of 5 for the acting in Hello My Name Is Doris. Sally Field is unbelievable I wish the script was less...sad. I know I contradict myself here about this film often, because I want you all to go see this performance!! UGH!!



HELLO MY NAME IS DORIS

Directed by:Michael Showalter
Screenplay by Laura Terruso and Michael Showalter
Starring: Sally Field: Tyne Daly; and Max Greenfield



After her mother passes away, Doris (Sally Field) slowly makes some changes in her life including developing a crush on John (Max Greenfield) at work.

Sally Field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will Oscar voters remember this!!!
I am telling you right now...shame on the voters if they do forget. What a performance. A little humor and filled with sadness and a little hope.

Then they throw in a lot of nice smaller performances with Max Greenfield as John; Tyne Daly as Doris's best friend Roz (a wonderful touching scene at the end); Elizabeth Reaser as Doris's therapist (I have yet to see her give a bad performance); and a little fantastic part by Beth Behrs (2 Broke Girls).

So with all those fantastic performances, does the script hold up?
It depends on how you approach  it. This movie is not a comedy. It sure looks like it from the trailer.
This film is close to heartbreaking. There is nothing funny about what Doris is doing and clearly there are issues there. No spoilers here, but there are two scenes at the end that just are soooo well acted and at the same time I had to cover my eyes it was so hard to watch. Heartbreaking.

It is not an enjoyable film. There is almost a sad desperation you are watching on the screen.
So it is a good film, however not enjoyable to watch. I know!!!! All depends how you approach it.
3 1/2 stars out of 5 for the acting in Hello My Name Is Doris. Sally Field is unbelievable I wish the script was less...sad. I know I contradict myself here about this film often, because I want you all to go see this performance!! UGH!!

From The Shadows as always thanks for your time.






No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...