Friday, June 24, 2016

New Film Review: The Shallows

Image result for the shallows

THE SHALLOWS

Directed by Jaume Collet-Serra
Screenplay byAnthony Jaswinsky
Starring Blake Lively



So no description needed because you see the trailer.
This film surprised me.......I was on the edge of my seat for most of it. I was grossed out often. This film just sucked me in...I really liked it. So...why?

-Yes you will think that this girl was really stupid...being out on a beach surfing in a place she knows nothing about and being by herself. Yes not a very smart move. However, surfers do this. They wake up and grab a board and catch some waves to start their day. To them it is like exercise. So I see this as realistic. I am glad that Blake Lively was a DR to be, she is not stupid, she just made a unlucky decision, and that happens.

-This film is gorgeous. It was filmed off the Gold Coast Of Australia. Crystal clear water (You can see the shark circling) that almost acts as a character in the film. Just beautiful. Thumbs up to cinematographer Flavio Martinez. Also throw in the fantastic surfing scenes.

-Blake Lively. She is clearly in great shape and looks the part. You have no doubt that she is strong enough and smart enough to handle this situation. Also note, she is all by herself in this film for most of it, so she is acting and not speaking most of the time. So as a viewer you learn from her expressions (and her pain). She is really good in this role.

-The film is only 85 minutes. It does not overstay its welcome. Also, it is exhausting, I could not take more than 85 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I know this film is a little better than a B-Movie budget wise. And Yes I know the last 15 minutes are severely lacking (The finish is disappointing). Still you come to this film after seeing the trailer wanting tension and excitement and this film delivers. 4 out of 5 stars for The Shallows. I hope this film does not get lost in the over crowded theater releases this summer. It looks great on the big screen.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...