Tuesday, June 7, 2016

New Film Review: The Meddler

Image result for the meddler

THE MEDDLER

Directed by Lorene Scafaria
Screenplay by Lorene Scafaria
Starring Susan Sarandon; Rose Byrne; and J.K. Simmons




Marnie (Sarandon) a widow from New York City moves to California to be near Lori (Byrne0 her daughter and maybe start a new life.

Sarandon is very good even though her dialect is a bit over the top. Her character is a lost soul who is trying to find her way. She is kind, if not too kind, to everybody she meets. Her daughter is frustrated with her because she has a tendency to meddle. I see it again as being over the top kind. She is always trying to be helpful and fix things.

So you have a pretty good performance but the film seems off. Like something is missing. I walked out trying to figure out why this film seemed to just lay there.

There is no character development of any other person other than Marnie. Byrne is barely in the film and  the previews make it seem she is. We only know she just left a relationship, that is all.
There are many other characters Marnie bounces around town and "helps". However we never get to know them either. J.K. Simmons arrives into the film doing his best imitation of Sam Elliott. I would have loved to know more of his background.

Speaking of Sam Elliott!!! Maybe I have seen this film before. Blythe Danner in I'll See You In My Dreams. A widow finding her way and finds Sam Elliot on his bike. MMMMM!!

Well it is not fair to compare movies. I am just saying it may have seemed flat because it has been done before.
There are a lot of good performances, small performances, in this film. Again we really never find out much about these characters, but they do wonders with their small parts.

It is fun, and also cringe worthy to follow Marnie around. This has me give The Meddler 2 1/2 stars out of 5. It may be best to wait for home viewing.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...