Thursday, September 3, 2020

New Film Review: Tenet

Tenet (2020) - IMDb

TENET
Written and Directed by Christopher Nolan



The Protagonist fights through international espionage and movements of time (Not to be confused with time travel), to save the world.

SPOILER FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Going in I knew full well that I usually get lost with Nolan's films. I got a bit lost watching Interstellar and Inception. I was not a big fan of Dunkirk, which I thought lost all development of characters. The Dark Knight Trilogy....I kinda liked, but...did the sun ever shine in Gotham City?! So now Tenet.

Tenet, which many are calling the best film of the year, comes in at 2 hours and 30 minutes. It took Nolan 5 years to write this film, watching it felt like 5 years. Nolan we need more editing...PLEASE!
I just felt like Tenet was messy and confusing, and yes I know it may be me not understanding Nolan.
There is a time portal in this film which has Nolan playing with time. Often we see the same character in the same scene, sometimes a character is moving forward in time while the same character is going backwards in time. LITERALLY GOING BACKWARDS!!! Time is flipping. Then we find the world could come to an end because of someones TIME. Why? I do not know. I tried to stay with this, I really did. However I could not, just...could not. Then as always in a Nolan film there is a twist at the end, and this one fell flat.
10 people in my screening.... 4 were left at the end. It just took a lot of....persistence to stay with this one.

Positives:
John David Washington is freaking great as The Protagonists. Oscar worthy for sure. It kind of throws you off because he sounds so much like his father Denzel.
Kenneth Branagh is perfect as Andrei Sator the Russian bad guy.
Robert Pattinson, who is underrated as an actor I think. plays a nice soft role here as The Protagonists right hand man, Neil.
Elizabeth Debicki, who was great in The Night Manager and also seen in Guardians Of The Galaxy films, reappears here as the damsel in distress part as Kat. She is good.

As in most Nolan films the action scenes are just amazing. Also the look of this film as it bounces in time to many destinations is gorgeous!!

I would give Tenet 3 out of 5 stars for now. It is over wrought. Over written. Over long. However the acting and the look of the filmand the great action sequences pushes Tenet forward, unfortunately I do not think it is the best film of the year so far.
I am holding on to another pass for this film so maybe I might take another look, which will give me another look knowing what is coming and maybe it will make more sense to me.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...