Saturday, June 1, 2019

New Film Review: Aladdin

Image result for aladdin 2019


ALADDIN


I know...I am getting your messages!! I am seeing these movies but finding time to write the blog is another story. Sorry I am trying...I am working so much these days.


I went in to the theatre very skeptical of this. I just did not see it working.
I was surprised. The film was not great...but it was good and fun.
Positives:
-Mena Massound (Aladdin) and Naomi Scott (Jasmine) are both really good, and their singing voices are excellent. They also have very good chemistry.
-I was worried about Guy Ritchie directing this ...coming from his action movie background..I thought he will be to heavy on CGI and action. However he stayed pretty close to the script of the original Disney animated film. In fact he pulled back on some of the action from the animated film toward the end...which is good because I found the end of the animated film the weakest part of the film.
-Marwan Kenzari as Jafar is wonderfully sinister!!! He makes Jafar his own. This movie does not work without a good bad guy....Kenzari makes it work.


Negatives:
-Will Smith was just a bad choice. I am being fair not comparing him with Robin Williams...I am just saying he was bad. His timing was off with jokes. His singing was awful. Facial expressions were non-existent, often looking hesitant in the part, almost scared to be all in. (On a positive note I liked his relationship with Dalia).
-The new songs added were all bad. Forgettable. They used one song to show the rise of Jasmine and female power, but in a strange way I thought the animated Jasmine was more before her time....animated Jasmine seemed real smart and clever. This jasmine sang about her situation but that is about it.


Well anyway this is pretty harmless...and fun.


3 1/2 stars out of 5....the classic story still works. The street rat and the princess.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...