Thursday, June 20, 2019

New Film Review: Toy Story 4

Image result for toy story 4

TOY STORY 4

When I heard they were making a 4th right a way I thought this is a Disney money grab.
I mean the trilogy, or I thought it was a trilogy, ended perfectly with the toys being passed down, as one child grows up...toys can be revived into the little hands of another youngster.
I was wrong...maybe there is more to tell.
This is spoiler free...
Now the toys we are familiar with belong to Bonnie. We open the film with Bonnie starting kindergarten which means big changes are in store for the toys. However, in reality, changes are happening already. Like most children, Bonnie goes through fazes with her toys, one week one toy is a favorite, the next week another. Which means...at some point a toy can be kept in the closet for weeks collecting dust bunnies. For Woody that change is tough but he has seen it before with Andy. Woody is loyal to his child.
So Toy Story 4, like the other films, has a road trip involved, and as usual an unwanted detour.
Again no spoilers but I can say I loved a couple new characters:
Forky: voiced by Tony Hale, is pretty funny. I love how he wants to be in the garbage, like Buzz in the very beginning who thought he was real, Forky just thinks he is trash and likes it that way. He is not thrilled with the Toy aspect.
Duke Caboom: voiced by Keanu Reeves is hilarious as a Canadian sort of Evil Knievel toy.
I also like the new Bo Peep. Yes I know people do not like the new Bo. However once you see the new film you will see she has to look that way. The things she does will not work in that big-ole skirt. She is a modern smart strong athletic brave woman....errrrr doll...errrr action figure I guess.

Negatives?
-I kind of miss Buzz in this film...he almost seems like a throw in here, until the touching ending.
-I think this film and purpose may be a bit over the head of youngsters (and throw in some creepy and scary dolls), they may not understand why or what happened at the end here. There is , I guess, enough humor to keep them attentive maybe.

In the end...the film is entertaining and it works.
This film is all about Woody. He has worked hard at not only being loyal to his child, or children Bonnie and Andy, but also loyal to his fellow group of toys. When something happens to his child...or one of his fellow toys he takes it personally. When is it time for him to relax and just be a toy? I thought of the words of Pepper Potts in the Avengers End game film while walking out: "Tony, look at me, we are going to be okay, you can rest now". Woody is the leader, the Iron Man for this group (And no Woody does not die, its a kids film. So stop it). He is never looking out for Woody.
 In the end, there will be laughs ( by the way many laughs in this film miss big time including shockingly Jordan Peele and Keenan Michael Key characters), and tears like most Toy Story films. Not sure I liked the ending but I understand it.

3 1/2 out of 5 for Toy Story 4.

Oh stay through the end of the credits....some touching words at the end.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...