Thursday, May 5, 2016

New Film Review: Captain America Civil War

Image result for captain america civil war

CAPTAIN AMERICA CIVIL WAR

Directed by Anthony Russo and Joe Russo
Screenplay by Christopher Marcus and Stephen McFeely
Starring Chris Evans; Robert Downey Jr; Scarlett Johansson; and a bunch of Superheroes




Captain America Civil War is the story of the Republican Party in 2016. Oh...no? Oh okay.

"For the second film in a row I felt like I was watching  a video game for more than half the film while buildings get destroyed (with out mentioning in the real world people live and work in them and most likely died as the fight continues)."

The above was part of my review of The Avengers Age Of Ultra. Which was not a very good film but I wanted to note the above because it is a major plot point in this film. The film divides the Avengers, with one group agreeing with the UN on a policy that The Avengers need okay by governments before moving in to fight evil, The other side thinks waiting causes more deaths.

This film is the best superhero movie I have seen in years. In fact this is what Batman vs Superman should have been.
The screenplay is very good and happily does not rely heavily on fight scenes. It relies heavily on..if you fight bad guys and hurt or kill others while doing so with out government an okay are you then a criminal.
A very interesting premise.
Another highlight of this film are the performances. Every performance is well done. I will highlight a few:
Chadwick Boseman as the Black Panther is introduced. He come across as a classy superhero which is kind of cool. I liked him a lot.
Elizabeth Olsen returns as the Scarlet Witch, and she has a much bigger part and she is a kind of a down to earth superhero which I like.
Paul Rudd as Ant-man adds a lot of humor.
Tom Holland is wonderful as Spiderman. I always thought the past Spidermen came across as asses. Holland, at least for now, came across as smart and funny. Also the hottest Aunt May played by Marisa Tomei.
Roberty Downey the veteran of all these superheroes has a very interesting part here. Tony Stark who use to be cocky, he comes across as old and humble and wise in this film. His character is changing a bit and is no longer one note.

As for the battles. I feel they were not overdone and I felt often they were hard to watch. It is like a family picnic and you are standing on the sidelines while a fight breaks out and you hope it just stops. You care for all of them and you hate to see anyone get hurt. Even though in this film Captain America comes across as close minded and a little bit of a jerk.

Negatives?
I felt the Captain America story line with Bucky was annoying and I struggled to really care. Even though I understand it is necessary for the Civil War story line.
The ending. I note often when there is a series of movies like this, I feel there should be a solid ending. Here again the ending left too much open. In fact the ending made the Bucky storyline a little...bit of a waste.
And the reason for the Bucky storyline reveal at the end as almost using him as a guinea pig was almost lazy and silly.

4 out of 5 stars for Captain America Civil War. I wonder if it will make money.

As always from the shadows thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...