Thursday, December 17, 2015

New Film Review: Spoiler Free Star Wars The Force Awakens

Image result for star wars the force awakens

STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS
Director J J Abrams
Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan; J J Abrams; and Michael Arndt
Based On The Characters by George Lucas
Starring Daisy Ridley; John Boyega; Oscar Isaac; Domhnall Gleason; Adam Driver; Harrison Ford; Carrie Fisher



30 years after the defeat of the Galactic Empire, a new threat rises. The First Order attempts to rule the galaxy and only a ragtag group of Heroes can stop them, along with the help of the Resistance.

"Real sets. Practical effects. You have been here before but you do not know this story. Everything has changed but nothing has changed". As the above video noted that was viewed at Comic-Con.

It all starts and ends with J.J. Abrams. He is the master here and it works.
I was worried in the beginning that the story was  familiar with an individual finding a droid. At that point it moves, thankfully, in a different direction.
I am spoiler free here...so I am going to do my best at getting my points across. J.J. Abrams.
Did I mention J.J. Abrams? I can write so much about this film but I will stick with J.J.. It is all him.

His casting. Was just spot on:
From Names from past Star Wars films: Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.
To people we know from other movies:
Adam Driver (Girls)....Deliciously evil as Kylo Ren
Oscar Isaac (Ex Machina).... as the brave fighter Poe Dameron. Who plays the dry straight man here very well.
Domhnall Gleason (Harry Potter films/Brooklyn/ExMachina) Is soooo well cast as the evil General Hux. It is against type because we are so use to seeing him as a stuttering, bumbeling kind of character.
 To casting faces we never have seen before:
John Boyega as Finn is fantastic as the every man hero played with dry humor. He becomes us. Tackling certain situations with a hold your breath...I have to do this...with fear and lack of enthusiasm.
Then we come to Daisy Ridley. She is the film. She is the star. This Kierra Knightly look alike carries this film (with BB-8--the cutest thing in movies this year). I hope she gets at least some Oscar consideration. She is strong. She is funny. She is a ball of emotions. I can not note enough how amazing she is. It is a credit to J.J. by just finding her.

The look.
This film is beautiful. Some scenes are breathtaking. So again credit goes to J.J. for bringing in Cinematogropher Daniel Mindel. There were a couple times in this film where I thought..."Oh that will make a great poster!" I would avoid 3D here to get the scope of the colors and landscapes.

The music:
He brought back John Williams!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean you get chills from the start when the score plays and he sets the tone throughout the film.

Negatives?
I was shocked by how stiff Carrie Fisher is as an actress. Maybe I just did not notice it before.
A couple big parts you clearly can see what is going to happen. J.J. Telegraphs a little too much including what may becoming in future episodes.
And my final negative which is a common complaint of mine when dealing with films that are set up for future episodes. Every film should have a clean ending. There are some loose strings here that left me wondering who is alive and who is not. I always feel you pay your money you should get a clear ending for a film that you paid to see. You should not have to pay for another film to see what happens. Each film should be go clearly from beginning to end on it's own.

Well 4 1/2 stars out of 5 for this almost perfect film. May be the best film I have seen all year. It is amazing that it actually lives up to its hype. Great for the whole family. The torch has been passed. Starts with J.J. Abrams...did I mention that before?

Now some fun spoilers to look for:

J.J.'s favorite actor friend is in another of his films....Greg Grunberg. Look for him. In all of J.J.'s film Greg is like where's Waldo.
Listen and look for the stormtrooper who says "I'll tighten those restraints scavenger scum!" That would be Bond James Bond. Yes Daniel Craig is that stormtrooper!!!

From the shadows as always may the force be with you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...