Friday, December 11, 2015

The Shadows Thoughts On The Golden Globe Nominations

Image result for room movie poster 2015

Well the Golden Globes nominations came out on Thursday and there were some thumbs up and some down from me. I will ignore the SAG award nominations which seemed pretentious. So here are my thoughts on this years nominations.
First I have to pat myself on the back.....over and over this year I have been posting this is the year of Alicia Vikander. Thursday she received two nominations, for The Danish Girl and for Ex-Machina. In my opinion Testament Of Youth was her best performance,,,and that was not nominated. Yes it was the year of Vikander.
Well any way, enough of me bragging...

Best Motion Picture – Drama
“Carol”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Revenant”
“Room”
“Spotlight”

As strange as it sounds I do not have a problem with any of the nominations here. I was not a huge fan of Mad Max...however..I understand the passion for it. I may have left out Mad Max and added Creed. Or Brooklyn!! Also people seem to forget the wonderful The End Of The Tour!!

Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
“The Big Short”
“Joy”
“The Martian”
“Spy”
“Trainwreck”

Well unlike the drama category, I have a lot of problems with this one. Spy???!!! The Martian??? A comedy??!!
Left out? How about Inside Out? How about Ex Machina...It could be a drama also. As a comedy, a pure comedy, Trainwreck should win this hands down.

Best Director – Motion Picture
Todd Haynes (“Carol”)
Alejandro G. Iñárritu (“The Revenant”)
Tom McCarthy (“Spotlight”)
George Miller (“Mad Max: Fury Road”)
Ridley Scott (“The Martian”)

I think Ridley Scott should win this...I have no problems with the list.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Bryan Cranston (“Trumbo”)
Leonardo DiCaprio (“The Revenant”)
Michael Fassbender (“Steve Jobs”)
Eddie Redmayne (“The Danish Girl”)
Will Smith (“Concussion”)

Bryan Cranston I would have left out. It seemed like a one note performance. I would have added Jacob Tremblay for Room. I know he was nominated for a supporting role by SAG. However he is in every scene!!! He is the lead!!n He carries the movie!!
Also did the Hollywood Foreign press forget Jason Segel in The End Of The Tour? He was incredible!

Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama Cate Blanchett (“Carol”)
Brie Larson (“Room”)
Rooney Mara (“Carol”)
Saoirse Ronan (“Brooklyn”)
Alicia Vikander (“The Danish Girl”)

All very good performances.  I would have given some thought to Blythe Danner for I'll See You In My Dreams. However I do not know who I would leave off this list.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Christian Bale (“The Big Short”)
Steve Carell (“The Big Short”)
Matt Damon (“The Martian”)
Al Pacino (“Danny Collins”)
Mark Ruffalo (“Infinitely Polar Bear”)

Very weak group. I do admit I have not seen The Big Short Yet. Matt Damon should win this handedly. Even though it was not a comedy. I am glad Al Pacino received a nomination for Danny Collins, his best performance in years.

Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy
Jennifer Lawrence (“Joy”)
Melissa McCarthy (“Spy”)
Amy Schumer (“Trainwreck”)
Maggie Smith (“The Lady in the Van”)
Lily Tomlin (“Grandma”)

Schumer and Tomlin should be the front runners here. McCarthy? Really? How about Mae Whitman in The Duff?! How about Patricia Clarkson in Learning To Drive?!

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Paul Dano (“Love & Mercy”)
Idris Elba (“Beasts of No Nation”)
Mark Rylance (“Bridge of Spies”)
Michael Shannon (“99 Homes”)
Sylvester Stallone (“Creed”)

Love some of the nominations in this catergory!!!
Stallone!!! Well deserved!!
Dano!!! They did not forget his performance!!
Shannon!! This film, if you have not seen it, kind of falls in line with The Big Short. It is available for home viewing. It is disturbing but true. Shannon is great.
Rylance, of this group is the favorite I imagine. Just a great soft performance.
I would have left out Elba. Nothing against him but this movie was released wide on Netflix and was produced by Netflix and only showed once in the theater for it to be eligible. I am old school!! This should be up in the TV category not the movie category.
I would replace him with either Del Toro for his amazing performance in Sicario! Or Oscar Isaac for his performance in Ex Machina.

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Jane Fonda (“Youth”)
Jennifer Jason Leigh (“The Hateful Eight”)
Helen Mirren (“Trumbo”)
Alicia Vikander (“Ex Machina”)
Kate Winslet (“Steve Jobs”)

Winslet is probably the favorite.
I would have considered Olivia Cooke in Me And Earl And The Dying Girl. She was wonderful. I fact, except for Vikander, youth is not being served in many categories.

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
Emma Donoghue (“Room”)
Tom McCarthy, Josh Singer (“Spotlight”)
Charles Randolph, Adam McKay (“The Big Short”)
Aaron Sorkin (“Steve Jobs”)
Quentin Tarantino (“The Hateful Eight

All good choices but I would have left out Steve Jobs just because a lot of it was not true and went with The End Of The Tour.

Best Original Score
Carter Burwell (“Carol”)
Alexandre Desplat (“The Danish Girl”)
Ennio Morricone (“The Hateful Eight”)
Daniel Pemberton (“Steve Jobs”)
Ryuichi Sakamoto Alva Noto (“The Revenant”)

I would have considered The Martian. Great score. Also Spectre. Or even Inside Out.


Best Animated Feature Film
“Anomalisa”
“The Good Dinosaur”
“Inside Out”
“The Peanuts Movie”
“Shaun the Sheep Movie”

The Hollywood Foreign press not giving a best picture comedy nod to Inside Out makes me feel like there will be an upset here. Shaun The Sheep out of England I predict will win. I am glad that Minions did not get a nod.

Well there are my Golden Globe thoughts. The Globes will be January 10th.

As always, from the shadows thanks for your time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...